UBB Store

Vintage Imsai Computer System with rare Xcomp Hard Drive all Working - One Owner
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Vintage Imsai Computer System with rare Xcomp Hard Drive all Working - One Owner
Price: US $4995.00
Vintage Imsai Computer System with rare Xcomp Hard Drive - One Owner.


What I am selling

This is a complete workingsystem consisting of an Imsai 8080 computer, (the same model as seen in themovie “War Games”), an Xcomp 10 MB hard drive CP/M system, and three Tandonhalf-height 8 inch floppy diskette drives in a case. The computer comes with a Z-80 CPU board, 64MB of static RAM, a Jade DD Double Density disk controller, and several otherS-100 boards detailed below. I am alsoincluding my massive collection of about 270 8 inch diskettes. This is all just as it was when I stoppedusing it as my daily driver computer system in the mid 1980s. It is a complete, functional system, needingonly a serial terminal (or laptop with serial adapter) to operate.

I am the original (and only)owner of this system.

This is a vintage computersystem being sold AS‑IS, with no guarantees or warranties of any kind. Due tothe age of the hardware, I cannot promise long‑term reliability, completeness,or functionality beyond what is stated in the description. These machines aredecades old and often require hands‑on restoration, so please purchase withthat understanding. All sales are final.

This system isavailable for either local pickup or via FedEx ground shipping, FOB Prescott,AZ. It is packaged in 3 separate boxes with atotal shipping weight of 162 lbs. Shipping costs are estimated to be between $170and $285 depending on your location. Pleasecontact me through with your address and I will look up the shippingcost. I will only charge the actualshipping costs and the cost of your desired insurance, plus $35, (which is lessthan I paid for shipping supplies).

Testing the system

This system has been boxed upfor about 25 years, since I last set it up and tested it. In August 2026, I unboxed it and set it up inmy office. I spent about a weekverifying the system functionality, then going through my large collection of 8inch diskettes. I created a couple offresh bootable disks as insurance against the 40+ year old ones failing withage, and re-formatted many disks that might contain sensitive data. I did not test the EPROM programmer or thereal time clock card which has an on-board battery which is dead. Everything else is functional and seems to beworking totally correctly. See Diskettedrives heading below for one drive weakness.

Cards installed in Imsai

Ithica Audio Z-80 CPU board

Xcomp hard drive controller (two boards)

64k Static RAM board

Wire wrap EPROM programmerinterface board

Godbout Compupro Interfacer 4, 2parallel, 3 serial port board

Jade DD Disk Controller board

QT S-100 Clock Calendar board

Wire wrapped dual parallel Interfaceboard + EPROM

System condition

Thissystem is in excellent condition overall, especially considering it is about 48years old! It all runs as it should. There are a couple of scratches on the rightrear corner of the Imsai case, and a couple of lesser scratches on the drivecase.

Diskette drives

There are three 8” diskettedrives. One drive, although fullyfunctional, sometimes produced errors reading disks which read fine on theother two drives, so I unplugged its data and power cables. The drive works and you may want to re-enableit.

Diskettes

I haveincluded approximately 270 eight inch diskettes. They are formatted either in single density(241 kB capacity) or double density (596 kB capacity). Many have been recently re-formatted toobscure possibly sensitive data, but many are as I left them in the mid ‘80s

Harddrive one-time anomaly

Fulldisclosure: During my week of testing,there was one time that the hard drive seemed to be making a strange sound –sort of a resonance or a slight rattle.I was very concerned, powered down the system, and later tried itagain. Everything was normal, the driveworked just fine. It continued to workfine through the balance of my testing.

Terminal– Not included

Thesystem requires a standard, serial port connected terminal for its userinterface. For this testing, I used my laptop with a USB to serial portadapter, running a free terminal program called CoolTerm. There is no terminal or laptop includedwith this package.

Packing by box Following my testing, I packaged the systemfor shipping. It is in 3 boxes weighinga total of 162 pounds!

Box1 25 x 21 x 21

Imsai computer

3large disk cases

2small disk cases

2disk boxes

EPROMprogrammer

Boxedweight – lbs. 74

Box2 27 x 17 x 16

Floppydisk drives

Manuals

5small disk cases

Boxedweight – lbs. 71

Box3 17 x 12 x 13

Harddrive

HDpower supply

Boxedweight – lbs. 17

Totalshipment weight

Actual 162




Buy Now